SEOmoz is my favourite resource for everything SEO on the net. They’ve got everything; forums, blog, SEO tools, keyword tracking software and resources to learn the basic (and more advanced) topics of SEO. I highly recommend it for both SEO and ecommerce managers.
They’ve just released their 2012 edition of The Beginner’s Guide to SEO. If you’re new to SEO, this is the place I would start. Topics include:
- What is SEO?
- Why Should I SEO?
- Can I Do SEO Myself?
- Build for Users, Not Search Engines
- Social Sharing
- Link Building
- New Strategies of Using Data
- Myths and Misconceptions
- Suggestions on What to do After Tracking Your Search Queries
Some other great areas of SEOmoz to explore include:
- The Q+A Forum – I’m a Pro member here (you can view my personal profile) and find the wealth of information incredible. The best place to find out anything SEO related from SEO professionals.
- Their Blog – The best SEO blog on the Internet. Hands down.
- Recommended Companies – If you’re looking at hiring a reputable SEO company, the list here features the most well-known in the industry. Be warned though, many aren’t cheap.
The key to learning SEO is to read, read, read. Just by reading blogs, user comments, articles, tweets etc I have learnt more about SEO than any single textbook could teach me. Some of hints/tips I have picked up along the way include:
- Create followed AboutUs.org pages – I’ve created numerous pages such as Swish Plastic’s, Jewellery Outlet’s and Punky B’s
- Create Crunchbase profiles – I’ve created a personal one plus a corporate one for a friend of mine
- Directories are polarised within the SEO community. Some argue that they still hold significant value, others argue that their time is numbered. My view is that you should still submit to high value directories such as BOTW, or highly relevant directories that are in your niche.
- Create a SEO friendly blog just like this one to share your thoughts, tips and interests
So what are you waiting for? Start learning SEO with the SEOmoz Beginner’s Guide today!